May 27, 2009

Interview With BOS Artist: Jenny Vogel



**Jenny Vogel will be showing her work at 7 St. Nicholas Ave, 4th FL**


Please tell us a little bit about yourself.

My work explores subjective themes as they are experienced in the age of information. I examine the anxiety of alienation, the desires of communication and a sense of be-longing in a virtual world. These traits, attributed to Romanticism, are dealt with in my work through the lenses of contemporary communication technology, the media and historical preconceptions. I am particularly interested in the depiction of the individual and individuality through media technology, with its resulting misrepresentations and miscommunications. Through this juxtaposition of technology and Romanticism I attempt to challenge the image of the Internet as the “global village,” objectivism in the news and the ideology of science.



What project(s) will you be showing during this year's open studios festival?

I will be showing "Your Lips Are No Man's Land But Mine", a series of b & w portraits depicting people in front of their web cameras. There will also be examples of recently finished works on paper and whatever else I am working on at the moment.






What inspired this project?


"Your Lips Are No Man's Land But Mine" is a continuation of my interest in web cameras, and the sculpture-like presence of their users. With staring eyes and expressionless features, the portraits question modern technology's hyped communication tools, and renders its users as examples of a contemporary loneliness.

Any plans in the works?

I am currently collaborating on a performance with Fever Theater from Portland, OR. We are experimenting with a combination of live-webcamera streams, pre-recorded material and on-stage presence.

How long have you lived in Bushwick, and what initially drew you to the neighborhood?

I actually don't live in Bushwick, but I like having my studio here. There is very little distraction once I get to my studio, at the same time many of my friends have studios in the neighborhood, so there is a sense of a community.



Can you recommend any Bushwick artists or art venues that you think we should check out?

You should go see David McBride's paintings and collages (1182 Flushing Ave, 2nd Floor).

Thank you Jenny!



To learn more about Jenny's art practice, check out her website.

No comments: